Annie’s Best Apple Bread Pudding Recipe
Homemade apple bread pudding, fresh and hot from the oven is a perfect dessert to serve to family and friends! This rich version has spices, apples, sliced almonds, half and half and butter. Wholesome, simple ingredients incorporated together in a delicious and memorable dessert.
Photography by Mariann Hayes
~Annie’s Best Apple Bread Pudding~
Warm apple bread pudding with half and half
1- loaf of Pepperidge Farm Raisin Cinnamon Swirl Bread, cut into cubes
5 large eggs, beaten
2 cups half and half or 1 cup whole milk + 1 cup whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup light, brown sugar packed
3 apples, peeled, cored and finely diced
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 stick of butter
3/4 cup of light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 cup of sliced almonds
1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees. In a large bowl, add cubed bread and diced apples. Kitchen Hint: A serrated knife makes cutting bread cubes easy and doesn’t crush the loaf.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, beat 5 eggs with a whisk and continue whisking as you add the rest of the custard ingredients together: half and half, vanilla extract, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and brown sugar.
3. Add the custard mixture to bread cubes and apples. Gently mix with a spoon so the bread cubes soak up the custard mixture. Let stand for about 25 minutes.
4. While bread cubes are soaking, prepare crumble mixture: in a medium bowl, mix together: brown sugar, butter and spices until it resembles small peas, add almonds.
5. Butter a 9 X 13 baking pan or medium casserole. Pour in bread cubes and custard mixture, and top with crumble mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove from oven and cool about 15 minutes. Spoon a generous portion of warm apple bread pudding into a bowl and top with your favorite sauce, or pour half and half over pudding and serve. Enjoy serving this delectable dessert to family and friends!