Polish Apple Coffee Cake
I came across this version of a placek….it looks delicious! If you make this, I’d love to hear from you! Enjoy!
Polish Apple Cake Recipe
Makes 12 servings
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 + 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) soft butter + 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- Lightly coat a 13″x9″ pan with cooking spray. Heat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and 3/4 cup sugar. Add 1/2 cup softened butter, milk and eggs. Beat at medium speed 4 minutes.
- Pour half the batter into prepared pan, then layer on half the apples. Spoon all but 1/2 cup of the remaining batter over the apples, covering completely. Place the remaining apples on top and dot the reserved 1/2 cup batter over the apples.
- Cut remaining 1/4 cup sugar and cloves into 3 tablespoons cold butter and sprinkle over the unbaked cake. Bake about 40 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan so the apple juices will be reabsorbed to create a moist cake. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar, if desired, and cut into 12 squares.